Guidelines: Embedding Metadata in Broadcast WAVE Files - BWF MetaEdit Help
Back to BWF Metadata main page
NOTE: This is a presentation of the BWF MetaEdit help resource at the Federal Agencies Audio-Visual Digitization Guidelines Working Group Web site. This help resource is also a part of the BWF MetaEdit application, downloadable from SourceForge.
About this software
BWF MetaEdit was developed by the Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative (FADGI) supported by AudioVisual Preservation Solutions.
- Imports, edits, embeds, and exports specified metadata elements in WAVE audio files, including the bext chunk in Broadcast WAVE Format (BWF) files
- Exports metadata from Format Chunks (technical metadata) and from BEXT and INFO chunks (minimal metadata) as comma-separated values and/or XML, across a set of files or from individual files
- Evaluates, verifies, and embeds MD5 checksums, as applied to the WAVE file's data chunk (audio bitstream only)
- Can be used to enforce the metadata guideline developed by the Federal Agencies Audio-Visual Working Group, as well as recommendations and specifications from the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), Microsoft, and IBM
- Reports certain errors in the construction of WAVE files
- Configured as both command line and GUI, for Windows/PC Macintosh OS, Linux; see list of options at SourceForge
- Suggested Workflows. How you might use the tool.
- Preferences. Setting the parameters.
- Use of Audio Only Checksums. Special feature for data integrity verification. At this time, not part of the Federal Agencies guidelines.
- Application of Validation Rules. BWF MetaEdit may be set to enforce various set of rules when editing metadata.
Explanation of BWF MetaEdit Views and Documents
- TECH. Information about each file: file size, metadata from the format chunk, existence of other metadata chunks, warnings of problems with the file.
- CORE. Document that supports BEXT and LIST-INFO metadata exchange between BWF MetaEdit and other applications.
- TRACE. Supports the visual inspection of the RIFF structure of an audio file.
- Explanation of Errors and Warnings. List of possible error and warning messages.
- Definitions and Use of BEXT metadata. Detailed information about BEXT and comparison of EBU and Federal Agencies recommendations.
- Definitions and Use of LIST-INFO metadata. Detailed information about the Federal Agencies recommendations.
- XML chunks. About applying the tool to the aXML, iXML, and XMP chunks columns. Double-clicking on the 'aXML', 'iXML', or 'XMP' cell for open any audio file will open a window displaying the XML data stored in the associated chunk. The user may read, write or edit data directly in this window.
Last Updated: Monday, 06-Dec-2010 15:57:50 EST