About This Initiative
Started in 2007, this is a collaborative effort by federal agencies to define common guidelines, methods, and practices for digitizing historical content. As part of this, two working groups are studying issues specific to two major areas, Still Image and Audio Visual.
This group is involved in a cooperative effort to develop common digitization guidelines for still image materials.
The goal for this working group is to identify, establish, and disseminate information about standards and practices for the digital reformatting of audio-visual materials.
- MXF AS-07 Milestone: Sample Files Available
Review draft for comment | Comments requested by December 31, 2016
The FADGI AV Working Group, through a contract with AVPreserve and their subcontractor EVS have created a set of graded sample files based on the AS-07 Application Specification as of June 2016. Comments are requested.
- MXF AS-07 Milestone: Approved as AMWA Proposed Specification
Review draft for comment | July 11, 2016
The Advanced Media Workflow Association (AMWA) has approved FADGI's MXF AS-07 Application Specification for Archiving and Preservation as an official Proposed Specification. The detailed AS-07 file "wrapper" specification intended to serve reformatting programs includes a list of permitted encoded essences (the underlying content bitstreams), defines a means for the carriage of multiple timecodes; the handling of captions, subtitles, and Timed Text; a minimal core metadata set; program segmentation metadata; and embedded content integrity data.
- Digitizing Motion Picture Film: Exploration of the Issues and Sample SOW
Approved by Working Group | April 18, 2016
The FADGI Audio-Visual Working Group's report on motion picture film scanning combines an introductory essay, a set of tables that describe a range of film "inputs" and digital "outputs," and concludes with a model statement of work for outsourced conversion of film to video.
- Audio Analog-to-Digital Converter Performance
Review draft for comment | Comments requested by May 30, 2016
Comments requested for ADC guideline version 1.1 that concerns metrics and measurement methods for analog-to-digital converters. Other reports linked from this page describe the problem of interstitial errors, i.e., accidental loss or transformations of audio samples within the digitizing system before the data stream is written to file.
- Technical Guidelines for the Still Image Digitization of Cultural Heritage Materials
Review draft for comment | Comments requested by December 1, 2015
Creation of Raster Image Master Files represents shared best practices followed by agencies participating in the Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative (FADGI) Still Image Working Group for digitizing cultural heritage material.
- File Format Comparison Projects
Posted by both Working Groups | December 2, 2014
Comparisons of file formats for still-image reformatting, video reformatting, and preservation-oriented treatment of born digital video. For the reformatting examples, matrixes are used to compare formats in terms of about forty factors. For born digital video, current practices in six federal agencies are described in case histories. The offerings include narrative explanatory documents and supplementary reports.
- Embedding Metadata in Broadcast WAVE Files
Approved by Working Group | April 23, 2012
Version 2 of the guideline for metadata to be embedded in Broadcast WAVE files that reproduce historical and cultural heritage digital sound recordings.
News & Events
- Summary of FADGI's impact within the Library of Congress and elsewhere (PDF), September 2016
- Carl Fleischhauer retires from the Library of Congress, April 2016
- Digitizing Motion Picture Film: Exploration of the Issues and Sample SOW; Approved by Working Group, April 18, 2016
- Revised version of Audio Analog-to-Digital Converter Performance Specification and Test Method, v 1.1. Document posted for comment February 16, 2016.
- FADGI MXF Video Specification Moves Up an Industry-organization Approval Ladder, July 11, 2016
- Digitizing Motion Picture Film: FADGI Report on Current Practices and Future Directions, December 9, 2015
- Improving Technical Options for Audiovisual Collections Through the PREFORMA Project, September 23, 2015
- All in the (Apple ProRes 422 Video Codec) Family, January 28, 2015
- New FADGI Report: Creating and Archiving Born Digital Video, December 4, 2014
- Comparing Formats for Video Digitization, December 3, 2014
The following are provided as resources for the digitization of both audio-visual and still image digital content.
- JPEG 2000 Lossy Compression (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Digital Imaging Standards
- Evaluating Still Image Digitization and Digitization Equipment (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- “Format Considerations in Audio Visual Preservation Reformatting” (PDF, 528 KB)
Last Updated: 09/23/2016