News & Events - Archive
Performance Impairments Caused by Interstitial Errors: Field Test Report. Presented to the Working Group, April 8, 2013.
- Can I Get a Sample of That? Digital File Format Samples and Test Sets (LC, December 2013)
- On the Road with FADGI: Recent Conference Presentations Highlight Current Audio and Video Projects (LC, November 2013)
- Connecting Communities: FADGI Still Image Working Group’s Impact on the Library of Congress and Beyond (LC, November 2013)
- One Format Does Not Fit All: FADGI Audio-Visual Working Group’s Diverse Approaches to Format Guidance (LC, October 2013)
Analog-to-Digital Converter Performance Specification and Testing. Guideline approved by Working Group, August 20, 2012.
Embedding Metadata in Broadcast WAVE Files. Guideline approved by Working Group, April 23, 2012.
Minimal Descriptive Embedded Metadata in Digital Still Images. Reviewed and Recommended by Working Group, March 23, 2012. Guideline created by the EMDaWG (Embedded Metadata Working Group) of the Smithsonian Institution.
- What IRENE Has to Say About Incremental Development and Digital Preservation (LC, June 2012)
- Audio Visual Working Group Update (LC, May 2012)
- Update on the FADGI Still Image Working Group (LC, April 2012)
- Report Puts the Focus on Independent Film Preservation (LC, February 2012)
- National Archives Digitization Tools Now on GitHub (NARA, October 2011)
- Information or Artifact? Four-part blog on digitizing books and photos. (LC, October 17-20, 2011)
Technical Guidelines Now Available | August 24, 2010
The Technical Guidelines for Digitizing Cultural Heritage Materials represents shared best practices followed by agencies participating in the Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative (FADGI). This comprehensive document reflects the current recommendations of the working group and reflects changes that have occurred in the digitization field during the last five years.
Evaluating Digitization and Digitization Equipment (PDF, 2.45 MB) | August 16, 2010
An overview of the recent technical guidelines developed by FADGI, and how they can be used to evaluate the results of digitization and digitization equipment. Presentation given by Michael Stelmach on August 16, 2010 for the "Issues and Answers in Digitization" Workshop Series, sponsored by CENDI, FLICC and FADGI.
Information Standards Quarterly article (PDF, 5.28 KB) | Spring 2010
The article "Format Considerations in Audio Visual Preservation Reformatting: Snapshots from the Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative" by Carl Fleischhauer was published in the Spring 2010 issue of ISQ: Information Standards Quarterly.
Federal Computer Week article | February 5, 2010
Article about audio-visual collections and archiving in the federal government that includes coverage of the Federal Agencies Audio-Visual Digitization Working Group.
Presentation at IASA (PDF, 1.3 MB) |
September 25, 2009
Carl Fleischhauer discussed the federal agencies initiative at the annual conference of the International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives on. After a general introduction, the main portion of the presentation provides an update on activities in the audiovisual working group.
Presentation at Archiving 2009 (PDF, 2.28 MB) | May 7, 2009
Michael Stelmach and Carl Fleischhauer presented an overview of the federal agencies initiative at the IS&T Archiving 2009 conference in Arlington, Virginia, on.
Federal News Radio interview (mp3 file) |
October 16, 2008
Michael Stelmach and Carl Fleischhauer discuss this initiative in an interview for Federal News Radio.
Government Video article | October 1, 2008
Carl Fleischhauer is interviewed for an article in Government Video.
GPO releases RFP for Mass Digitization |
The U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) submits A Request for Proposal for Mass Digitization Opportunities.
GPO releases RFI for Inventory of legacy publication |
The Government Printing Office (GPO) has conducted a market research to obtain estimates for a physical inventory of U.S. Federal government publications.
GPO Re-Launches Registry of U.S. Government Publication |
GPO has re-launched the Registry of U.S. Government Publication Digitization Projects.
Library of Congress Collaborates with Xerox to Test JPEG 2000 Format |
The Library and Xerox collaborate to study the potential of using the JPEG 2000 format in large repositories of digital cultural heritage materials.
Last Updated: 12/30/2014